Dickens on the Strand
Galveston’s Christmas Festival – First Weekend of December
Three days / two nights
Come participate in a jolly, merry old time at the Dickens on the Strand Christmas Festival in Galveston. The entire city turns out for a Victorian holiday celebration just as Charles Dickens envisioned. Galveston has the nation’s largest collection of Victorian era houses so a 19th century winter festivity is entirely appropriate. The Strand, downtown’s main street, becomes a pedestrian area packed with revelers, costumed characters, entertainers and of course the antique and gift stores are all open for your pleasure.
Plus, you can see many attractions just a block or so away on your own schedule, such as the sailing vessel Elissa, and museums focusing on such diverse themes as railroads, Mardi Gras, seafaring life, offshore oil drilling, Galveston’s history, the Great Hurricane of 1900, and pirate Jean Lafitte. Then there are restaurants galore for all sorts of dining possibilities. In addition, the enormous selection at the nation’s largest army surplus store, on The Strand, is not to be believed!
- Ticket to DICKENS ON THE STRAND for all day Saturday, and roundtrip shuttle bus ticket for you to get to and from the Festival site.
- Tours of two homes decorated for Christmas in Old South and frontier Texas style (MENARD HOME & WILLIAMS HOME), two of Galveston’s oldest.
- Tour of the famed BISHOP’S PALACE, “one of America’s 100 Most Important Buildings” – an incredible home!
- Tour of the city and its VICTORIAN NEIGHBORHOODS with a local historian.
- Tour and Scottish Breakfast at the wonderful mansion ASHTON VILLA.
- Dinner at renowned GAIDO’S – seafood not to be missed!
- An afternoon at MOODY GARDENS, where you can see any two of their attractions, such as the Rain Forest Pyramid and the new Aquarium.
Tour Can Include
- Motor coach transportation to and around Galveston.
- Baggage handling at the hotel.
- Air transportation and baggage handling if appropriate.
- Two nights accommodations in Galveston.
- Full buffet breakfasts.
- Two lunches.