Heritage Tours presents another in its “TEACHING THROUGH TRAVEL” series of History Field Trips for Students and their Parents
Celebrate Texas Independence
Where it Happened –
Take your students to celebrate Texas Independence at Washington-on-the-Brazos, Birthplace of the Republic of Texas. On March 2, 1836, a brave band of Texian patriots declared their independence from Mexico in a rustic log cabin in a village called “Washington-on-the-Brazos”. Their bold action laid the groundwork for ten years of independent nationhood and then annexation with the U.S. cake. Located at the Park are the cabin where independence was declared, the home of President of the Republic Anson Jones, the Star of the Republic Museum (the best and most complete of all museums on the Texas revolution and nationhood), and the Barrington Living History Farm.
What a wonderful opportunity to expose your students to the real story of how Texas gained its independence, through the presence of living history re-enactors, in the very place where the Republic came into being!
And as you will be staying in Brenham, our visit would not be complete without a stop at the BLUE BELL CREAMERY!
Tours over the first weekend in March, the one closest to March 2nd, will be able to participate in the Texas Independence Day Celebration at the Washington-on-the-Brazos State Park. Every year at this time the State Park located here throws a huge birthday festival featuring living history presentations, patriotic speeches by State leaders, re-enactors, and a Texas-size cake.
- Overnight accommodations
- Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner
- Transportation by motorcoach from a fully licensed and insured charter company
- All tours and entrances as listed in the Itinerary
- Study materials with suggested readings and keepsake notes
- Commentary by Heritage Tours historical experts
On this trip, your students will learn:
- The story of the TEXAS DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE, exactly where it happened.
- The history that happened at the village of INDEPENDENCE, including Sam Houston’s personal life and the founding of BAYLOR U.
- TEXAS REVOLUTION history, as remembered at the Star of the Republic Museum at Washington-on-the-Brazo
Texas International Tours uses only fully licensed and insured motorcoach companies and full-time professional drivers.