Heritage Tours presents another in its “TEACHING THROUGH TRAVEL” series of History Field Trips for Students and their Parents
“TEXAS” at PALO DURO CANYON
We have reserved seats for you at the most impressive outdoor musical spectacular in the state
Summer months only
Staged in Palo Duro Canyon outside Amarillo with the sheer 1,000’ walls of the canyon as the backdrop, this play on the settling of the West has thrilled and awed millions over the years. The play and the trip to America’s second largest canyon present a wonderful opportunity for learning experiences about the social history, natural history and geology of the Panhandle and Plains regions of Texas.
This two-day trip also includes these wonderful activities:
- Breakfast at COWBOY MORNING. A sizzling hot meal right from the chuck wagon in Palo Duro Canyon. Start the day with working cowboys of the Elkins Ranch before they hit the trail!
- The PANHANDLE-PLAINS MUSEUM in Canyon, one of the State’s best, covering the history of the brave, persistent pioneers who tamed the prairie.
- Tour of Amarillo, including that world-famous Texas oddity, CADILLAC RANCH, the big-finned Cadillacs buried nose down in the Plains. Students get to spray paint the cars!
- Presentation by Hody “Long Bow” Porterfield, Living History expert on the Indian and settler perspectives on the American westward movement.
- Tour of PALO DURO CANYON led by a Park Ranger.
- Overnight accommodations at THE BIG TEXAN in Amarillo, a wonderfully “Texas Tacky” hotel complete with pool in the shape of the state.
- Included LUNCHES at The Big Texan and The Ranch House in Canyon, where the enormous pies are made fresh each morning.
- Visits to an Amarillo feed lot and a stretch of the real Route 66.
And here is the Special Featured Attraction for this field trip: not only will you see the play “TEXAS” but your students will have dinner with several cast members and receive a backstage tour of the enormous outdoor set in the Canyon!
- One night at The Big Texan Motel in Amarillo.
- Motorcoach transportation from a fully licensed and insured charter company.
- Lunch at The Big Texan.
- Hody Porterfield’s presentation on Indian and settler perspectives.
- Entrance fee and Ranger-led tour at Palo Duro Canyon State Park.
- BBQ dinner with cast members before the play.
- Reserved seats at the outdoor musical drama TEXAS.
- Cowboy Breakfast.
- Lunch at the Ranch House in Canyon.
- Panhandle-Plains Museum in Canyon.
- Tour of Amarillo.
- Study materials with suggested readings and keepsake notes.
- Trip commentary from professional tour leaders.
On this trip, your students will learn:
- The settlement of the Panhandle and Plains regions of Texas
- The geology of the area
- The plant and animal life of the region
- Indian and settler ways of life on the prairie
- What it is like to be in a professional stage production such as “TEXAS”
- What cowboy life is like on a real West Texas ranch
- How the cattle business works, at a feed lot
- the role of Route 66 in U.S. history
- The fun of eccentricity (at Cadillac Ranch)!
The presenters on this field trip include:
- The Rangers at Palo Duro State Park
- Hody “Long Bow” Porterfield, Living History expert
- The cowboys of the Elkins Ranch
- The docents at the Panhandle-Plains Museum
- Cast members from ‘TEXAS”
- Professional lecturer guides from Heritage Tours
Texas International Tours uses only fully licensed and insured motorcoach companies and full-time professional drivers.